Does Your Renovation Require a Permit?

You do not need a building or trade permit for:

1) Replacing fixtures, cabinets and flooring.
2) Painting the interior of your home or business.
3) Carrying out non-structural maintenance or minor repairs to the exterior of your home or business.

You do need a building and trade permit for:

1) Moving interior walls and partitions.
2) Moving existing plumbing, electrical, or gas lines.
3) Installing new plumbing, electrical or gas lines.
4) Making structural repairs or changes that are specifically allowed by your zoning.
5) Creating new spaces (rooms, basements, attics, storage closets, etc. ) that are specifically allowed for your zoning.
6) Creating most new “hard landscaping features such as fences or retaining walls.

You can find this information and more at the City of Vancouver website.

We can assist you with determining whether or not your proposed residential or commercial project requires building or trade permits. We routinely work with local municipalities, designers, engineers and architects to get your project permitted properly.

Have a project in mind? Contact us to learn more.